The Mediterranean forage legume Medicago truncatula has emerged as a model to study different aspects of plant biology, in particular the development of root endosymbioses, plant-pathogen interactions, and the formation of protein-rich seeds. Medicago truncatula is closely related to forage and grain legume crops of agricultural importance, e.g. Medicago sativa (lucerne) or Pisum sativum (pea). Due to its suitability for genome-enabled studies, M. truncatula has been chosen as a nodal species for structural, functional and comparative legume genomics. In previous years, we supplied Mt16kOLI1/Mt16kOLI1Plus microarrays to the Medicago community. Based on these tools, a range of expression profiling experiments have been performed in research networks or in the frame of bilateral collaborations. In addition to these home-made microarray tools, commercial genome-wide platforms, e.g. Affymetrix Medicago GeneChips, are available since a couple of years.
Medicago truncatula handbook and publications
- Medicago truncatula handbook: Biology, resources, and protocols
- Browse Medicago truncatula publications from PubMed
Medicago truncatula symbionts
- RhizoGate: Genome annotation and resources on Sinorhizobium meliloti, a gram-negative soil bacterium inducing nitrogen-fixing root nodules
- MycorWeb: Genomic resources on the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Rhizophagus irregularis (formerly known as Glomus intraradices)
Medicago truncatula GeneChip
The GeneChip® Medicago Genome Array was designed to monitor gene expression in Medicago truncatula, Medicago sativa, and the symbiont Sinorhizobium meliloti. Sequence information for this chip was collected in January 2005 from different sources including the TIGR M. truncatula gene index, gene predictions from the International Medicago Genome Annotation Group (IMGAG), gene predictions from the S. meliloti genome, and M. sativa EST information. The chip contains more than 61,200 probe sets: 32,167 M. truncatula EST/mRNA-based and chloroplast gene-based probe sets; 18,733 M. truncatula IMGAG and phase 2/3 BAC prediction-based probe sets; 1,896 M. sativa EST/mRNA-based probe sets; and 8,305 S. meliloti gene prediction-based probe sets.
Medicago truncatula sites
- Current release of the Medicago truncatula genome sequence
- SAMS annotation: Automated annotations of all Medicago truncatula genes predicted in the current genome release and of all Medicago GeneChips probes. Please enquire for a SAMS export file with annotation updates.
- Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation: The Medicago truncatula Gene Expression Atlas
- Legoo: A bioinformatics gateway towards integrative legume biology
- MENS: The Medicago EST Navigation System
- Center for Medicago Genomics Research: Medicago truncatula mutant platforms at the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation
- The Legume Information System: A publicly accessible resource that integrates genetic and molecular data from legume species