Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institut für Pflanzengenetik
Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institut für Pflanzengenetik
  • Zielgruppen
  • Suche


Campus Herrenhausen
The spectacular Hannover zoo
Greenhaus for fruit trees
Figures in Herrenhaeuser Gaerten nearby
In building 4136 you can find Prof. Maiss, Prof. Jacobsen, and Dr. Reinard
The less successful soccer team of plant soccer challenge
Again Hannover zoo

In return for ISAP, which enables students from LUH to go for 4-6 months to Northeastern University [NEU], COOP enables students from Northeastern university to join a lab at the LUH, faculty of Science. 

This program is for students of NEU, department of Biology only. No students from other universities can be accepted, since COOP is a special program of the NEU.

Why studying abroad?

  • It affords you the opportunity to make friends around the world.
  • It is not only to gain new knowledge or to study in a field your university is not offering!
  • Study abroad can enhance the value of your degree.
  • Having been exposed to a foreign academic environment enhances your employment opportunities.
  • It helps you to learn about yourself and expands your worldview.


Why studying at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the LUH Hannover?

The Faculty of Natural Sciences is the largest faculty at the Leibniz Universität Hannover and includes - among others - the subjects of biology, chemistry, and food science. These are the subjects, fitting best for students from NEU Biology & Chemistry. There is a total area of 33,000 m² houses laboratories, lecture halls, internship facilities, offices, workshops, greenhouses and outside areas for experimental purposes.

  • Several teams of the faculty have already hosted students from the NEU or have made an offer to do so. Most of them are working in the research area of Molecular Biology, Genomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics (of plants). Furthermore there is much research on chemistry of natural substances, and on food technology as well. The list of institutes can be found here.

  • Among 25,000 students at LUH 3,000 international students are enrolled. There is also a complete english master curriculum available: International Horticulture. Therfore, a large and very active International Office supports all students from abroad, study buddies are common. If you need more information, check out the Guide to Germany (pdf), published by the International Office.
  • NEU students will spend most of their time in a lab. 

    • Usually, you will participate in an ongoing research project.
    • An experienced researcher will supervise you.
    • A technician, a M.Sc. or PhD student will guide you.
    • In contrast to typical experimental courses, there are no predefined work schedules.
    • You will acquire skills in the lab. 

  • Nevertheless, if you wish to learn German, this may not the right program for you. English is widely spoken in labs and nearly all students speak English. Also many people in Hannover will switch to English,as soon they identify you being American.
  • We advise you, to enroll at the LUH (about € 300 / semester), since there are many advantages:

    • All lectures (even non-sciences lectures) can be attended, when registered.
    • You may learn German in German courses (the only way, because Germans love to speak English at any opportunity).
    • You have a free ticket for tram and railway through the whole state of lower saxony.

      • You can go swimming (North sea, summer only) or skiing (Harz, winter) or visit old German cities like Göttingen, Bremen or Goßlar (where the movie Monument Men was filmed).

  • Hannover is in the middle of Germany and has excellent transport connection (autobahnen, railway, airport). 

    • After entering Germany, you can travel easily throughout the EU (similiar like going from Boston to New York). 

Costs of living and studying?

 Calculate about € 700 (∼ US$ 1000) for living. Housing is about € 300 and to find a place to stay is the most serious challenge.

  • There are no tuition fees.
  • The 380 €  semester contribution is optional, but strongly recommended.
  • Includes public transport within Hannover and Lower Saxony.
  • Reduced prices for meals at the Mensa.
  • Lectures can be attended.
  • German classes can be attended.
  • A benchfee of 500 €  may be payable (please contact us for the details).

How to find a place in the lab?

 If you now choose LUH at Hannover as your COOP-project, you should do as follows:

  •  Check the LUH faculty websites for institutes and work groups, which may be of interest for your project.
  • Contact the NEU COOP office.
  • Gunther Zupanc at Mugar Hall is the NEU contact for the german students, staying at NEU. He can tell you, whether there are students from LUH working in Mugar hall (usually they are around from September to February). Then you should contact those people, since they know a lot about study in Germany.
  • From Sep. to October, you can meet the ISAP coordinators Prof. Hans-Jörg Jacobsen or Prof. Bernhardt Huchzermeyer.During that period, they will give lectures at the NEU.
  • Contact one of the ISAP coordinators at Hannover: Prof. Dr. Edgar Maiss, or Dr. Thomas Reinard. We will assist you, choosing the right lab and will establish contact between you and a member of the hosting lab. Do not contact the labs mentioned above directly, but via Dr. Reinard or Prof Maiss only.


And the Visa stuff?

 There are two options:

  • apply for a visa at the German consulate in Boston (safer option)
  • apply for a residence permit for study in Hannover (easier option)

Both options have their pro's and con's. Besides various forms from COOP and LUH there are to main issues:

  • You’ll have to show proof of sufficient funds for the entire duration of the studies or courses (no less than 720.00 EUR per month). This money has to be on your account. If it is money on your parent's account, you'll need additional certificates. Keep in mind that you are applying for a semester (so 6 month funding necessary). There is also an option for a so-called blocked account.
  • You’ll need an insurance for the university enrollment and the immigration office Hannover. Unfortunately, there are different requirements for both... For the university and the visa your families or own US insurances should be sufficient (if stays abroad are covered). The Hannover immigration office recently decided that this is not sufficient, but you need a German insurance. Actually, the university is working on a solution. Best is, to use your US insurance and pay for a second (very, very basic German insurance) 35 € / month. The second one is for the Hannover immigration office only and is not useful for medical treatment! Another consequence is that you'll need a German banking account. This is no problem, if you already have an account at the Bank of America. If not, we will handle as part of your application.

The most recent regulations on visa can be find here.